Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pin Prick Method for Piping Scroll Work Tutorial

So, I wanted to share with everyone how I did the scroll work on the BMI wedding cake. This method can be used to replicate designs from invitations, or just something that catches you eye. Please excuse the photos I was in a hurry, but still wanted to share the technique. First, choose a design that you want to replicate. I found this design online, and then added a little of my own design.

Next, you want to make sure the image is the size that you want to put on the cake. My cakes are usually over 4" tall so I knew I could make the image that larger and not run over the sides of the cake.
Next tape the image to a piece of foam core board (you can find this at any local craft store) so that the image is secure. Then over top of the image tape a piece of acetate. (Acetate is the same thing as an overhead transparency).


Then start to mark out your design using a pin. Place as many holes as you think you will need to replicate the design.

Can you see the holes?




Then, take the acetate with the rough side out, and line it up with where you want it on your cake. Then, press the acetate firmly into the cake so that the pin prick design will transfer to the cake.
See the pin prick design on the side of my cake?
Lastly, just follow the design transfer to replicate the design that you want! Simply, easy, and stress free!

I hope this little tutorial will help with some of your more complex designs in the future! Stay tuned for some exciting new cakes to come. Especially an awesome Halloween birthday cake that I am working on!

11 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks for taking time to post this tutorial. I am not very good at piping, especially freehand so this would definitely help make it easier for me.

Unknown said...

this was very helpful =)ty ^^

Anonymous said...

Greatness!

Anonymous said...

What did you use to pipe the black on with?

Sweet Eats Cakes said...

I am not quite sure what you are asking but I used black royal icing and a size 1 piping tip. Hope that answers your question.

Mel Lasius said...

Thanks for this tips. Really appreciate it.

Mel Lasius said...

Thanks for this tips. Really appreciate it.

Len Jackson said...

As a calligrapher who draws those scrolls, I am pleased to see such a "useful" - and delicious - use for them.
Lovely cake.

Anonymous said...

Zeroin academy Baking Classes in Velachery will let you to know about the tactics over the piping which will make your cake more and more gorgeous with these piping strategy that you are about to use over your baked stuff adding up the piping over the cakes. https://zeroinacademy.com/baking-classes-in-velachery

Rahul kapoor said...

OM Cake Shop Mirzapur
Online Cake Delivery in Mirzapur
Online Cake Delivery in Mirzapur
Online Cake Delivery in Mirzapur
Cake shop in Mirzapur

Unknown said...

Thank sharing! It is very useful with the picture reference and measurements you have quoted. Your preparation methods will really helpful for me. Visit Baking Courses in Chennai for further reference.