Monday, April 18, 2011

Racing 40th Birthday

When I was asked by my sister-in-law to make a cake for long-time boyfriend's 40th birthday, I was so excited. The theme for the party was drag racing since that was his hobby, and she wanted the cake to look exactly like the car he currently races. I also wanted to do a dessert table for the event since I knew that a car cake would not feed the 70 people that had RSVP'd to the event.

The cake was pretty much done all by my husband. I know he is so talented isn't he? The photos do not do this cake justice. You cannot see all of the door paneling details and things that he added to really make the car come to life.

The dessert table was a challenge because I did not want to make it to childish but wanted to keep within the theme of racing. I used my more modern cake plates and serving dishes and kept all of the dessert signage as adult-like as possible. I think I achieved a good balance, and was happy with the outcome. For the table, I made chocolate cupcakes, s'more pops, chocolate covered pretzels, cheesecake bites, vanilla/strawberry dessert shooters, and an assortment of cookies and candies for the children. I hope you enjoy the table!

We placed the cake on a wooden crate which, we then covered with a tablecloth so that the cake would not be lost behind all of the desserts.
Awesome cake that read: Happy Birthday 40th Chris! It's all downhill racing from here!
Here is the birthday boy cutting his cake with his daughter and niece watching!
Hope you all enjoyed this party. Let me know what you thought of the dessert table by leaving me some comments. Did I achieve the look I was going for with the table and decorations? I hope Chris had a very Happy Birthday and I enjoyed being a part of it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the work you have done into the article, this helps clear up a few questions I had.